The Wakarusa Maple Syrup Festival is one of my favorite festivals of the year. I love this small town event, and here is what we do when we go for the day. 1. We enjoy the all-you- can-eat sausage and pancake breakfast. I know if you see the line you’ll wonder if it is worth the wait. Trust me, it’s worth it! It’s also a great time to chat with the people at your table and find out how long they’ve been coming to the festival, and what they like best about it.
2. Take a walk down Elkhart Road and see all the street vendors. I find lots of great local products here. From local food to hair bows.
3. Put the little one on some rides. My daughter loves the pony rides and the amusement rides that go around in circles. This year there is a bounce house, so I know where I’m going to be for an hour or two.
4. Walk into the Wakarusa Dime Store and take your chances of dealing with a kid on a “sugar high.” They have the jumbo jelly beans. We always make sure to buy enough to last through the year. This years’ new flavor is cotton candy.
5. Get the little one’s face painted and enjoy some of the local entertainment.
6. Wondering if you should eat at Nelson’s or take it home. If we take it home, I don’t have to worry about what’s for dinner. If we eat it there, we get to talk with all the other festival goers and enjoy the smell of Nelson’s Golden Glow Chicken for another twenty minutes.
7. Go home and wait for next year. I hope you enjoy this first-of- the-year festival in Amish Country and let us know your favorite things.